It takes a lot to rise from the ashes, achieve your goals and give back to the world as Niki Mehra has. She is an independent, strong-headed woman who has made it into the fashion industry good for herself by simply believing in herself. She has a story that cannot be restricted to a page. But here is a little something for you to get inspired by as Niki divulged into conversation with us.
1. Hi Niki, we’ve seen you grow & your journey is so inspiring for the youth. Whichever field you step into, you face it. Tell us about how your journey had begun and has how been till now?
Well, it dates back to my college days. I was in the middle of pursuing my master’s program in economics when I realised my dreams and aspirations were changing and I was no longer happy with where I was. I took the leap of faith, switched, and started my career in fashion from scratch.
The journey has been rewarding, to say the least, but that’s always the case when one chases and believes in their dreams.
2. Tell us about a change you’ve seen in the digital blogging space since you started out your journey? How has this space evolved?
The blogging space has evolved tremendously both here and globally. Especially 2020 taught us the importance of authentic organic content and one change I see visibly is influencers trying harder every day to show their real not so perfect life over the perfect Instagram life we all developed over the years.
3. What was that moment when you felt that this is it; people have started liking you and are getting inspired by your work?
It was when I started my #NMRethinks fashions series on Instagram. It was a completely selfless, 100% organic series for my audience to help them with their everyday fashion insecurities and to help them feel and look confident without spending money. They really connected with it and the amount of love I received was immense!
4. Can you give us an insight into social media platforms that only an Influencer can know?
The biggest learning and “secret” if you want to call it is evolving. Social media algorithms are designed for the viewers. They show you who you love what you love and that keeps changing. So influencers need to constantly adapt to market taste.
5. Having a large fan following and being a public figure, what kind of responsibilities do you have? And how do you make use of this fame?
A large audience always comes with accountability. If we can influence someone’s choices in what they wear, use or eat, then we have the social responsibility to influence them in the correct direction. This is why my team and I always promote brands if we or anyone in our family is an existing user of the brand and has had a good experience.
6. The world has changed with the pandemic and everyone has accepted the new normal. What do you think is the new approach to keep moving in the new age of digital media?
With the pandemic, like we have seen the importance of the digital world increased multifold. The pandemic made all of us self-reliant and led creators to adopt a more we are a one-man army approach. We were creating content from our homes on our phones. And our viewers responded. So there has been a visible shift in putting oneself out there more without overthinking it and most importantly, keeping it simple.
7. What do you do to make your content unique from others?
We take pride in being the first ones in the Indian blogging industry to start a fashion hacks series where we try to make both high fashion clothes environmentally viable by showing how to reuse them in unthinkable ways and slow fashion brands more economically viable by styling them in unique ways